Sunday, April 19, 2009

Spanish Hip-Hop 101...

So I have been getting back into the Spanish hip-hop lately, and have decided to document my favorites for quick future reference. The guy I have been checking all afternoon I first heard back the early 2000s, as guest MC on some of my favorite albums of that era. His name is Tremendo, or Tremendo Menda, and he reminds me of the Guru of Spain. He is from Terrassa (about 30 km from Barcelona)...

Terrassa under the clouds by Paco CT

...runs with the dope hip-hop collective Funkomuna, and cites Dilla as his major influence. So far he has released one full-length record called Vidalogia with the label DelPalo. This great label is also the home of Spanish hip-hop group Sólo Los Solo, so naturally DJ Griffi (the producer / DJ extraordinaire of that group) does a lot of the production. If you speak Spanish, you can learn more about him on Wikipedia or you can check his Myspace page for more current updates and tracks. For now, I will let some of his tracks speak for themselves…





No comments:

Post a Comment

Find out what motivates, captivates and rejuvenates me on my never-ending quest for knowledge and art.
Peace, fam, thanks for checkin' in...